Sunday, February 6, 2011

Is Pleasure More Important?

It was clear when searching for songs that the Hindu aim for pleasure was much more prevalent in popular American music than the aim to serve others.  I wasn’t surprised.  It’s obvious that much of our media, especially within music, derives from the desire to please oneself with love, sex, drugs, etc.  In class we learned that once a person has exhausted their desire to please themselves, they will eventually graduate from seeking that desire and move to another.  I guess today’s Americans, or at least the ones making hit songs, have not graduated from pursuing the Path of Desire yet. 
Even though I wasn’t surprised to find a surplus of songs devoted to sex, I was even more surprised at the lack of songs devoted to community service.  I am constantly seeing celebrities helping various charities, adopting babies from impoverished families, and running for president of Haiti (well, maybe not constantly, but it’s happening).  One would think that these same celebs would try to empower and inspire more people with their music as well as their actions.  Some songs that I immediately thought of when hearing about the assignment (but were unfortunately already taken by the time I chose my songs) were With My Own Two Hands by Jack Johnson and some other guy, and Where Is the Love by the Black Eyed Peas.  I was expecting there to be more modern songs really calling people to make a change in their world, and fully disappointed to see that there weren’t.  It seems like helping others is more important in Hindu culture than in American culture/music.  Maybe we could learn a thing or two about what’s important in life from the Hindu teachings.

7 comments:

  1. I AGREE GIRL!! It does seem like helping others isn't a important aspect of life in American culture. Why could this be? I think its because we are separated by class and we focus on personal gain and our egotistical minds. People don't seem to talk too much about the community service they are doing - well because they aren't doing too much of it. Its sad to think that there are all these millionaires that are just going around living like kings when people all over the world are living in poverty. I think having national pride and that bull shit about "proud to be an American" is crap. I think if we focused more on WORKING TOGETHER and seeing how far we can get as a collective whole then things could easily get better for so many people. We just need to realize we are capable of high levels of thinking and group consciousness - but in truth I think big changes are coming our way around 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you make a very valid point. American actors, singers, and entertainers seem to relish in the community service aspect of what their fame and money can allow them to do. These groups in particular seem to focus on how they can help rather than how the community can help. They very rarely, within their songs talk about the bad conditions of the world or needs of the under represented. I think it would be interesting to see a group of students from another country do this assignment to see what the artists from their culture say about community service and seeking pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with your questioning of celebrities who do so much help around the world but don't write too many songs about it. I have noticed that there are always American artists around condemning big business and giving a middle finger to the government for not doing the greatest thing ever though. Even though these things hurt people its rare to see a song about lending a hand to a person in need instead they seem to be about blaming those responsible for the situation. Placing blame might be a good idea but it doesn't really help anyone like the Hindu aim asks for. Also, great call on Lay, Lady, Lay...its such a good song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made a good point there are a number of celebs who are donating to various charities and the humanitarian stuff, but very few incorprate that message in their music. I think thats because in American Pop music that is not what sells!!! And the only time it does sell is when its for a natural disaster or some kind of relief song to raise money. Sex, pleasure, and desire is what embodies American Pop music thats all you hear and see. So it may not be the choice of all celebs to make the kind of music they do , they might not have a say so it what kind of music they sing, but the person that does for sure includes references to pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kayla,
    Good work, Every Time I Die are sweet dudes, I got drunk with them after interviewing them for a magazine I work for. Good job with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kayla, please also add your last name to your blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. James,
    I am so jealous. I'd probably give anything to have drinks with ETID. They've been my favorite band for years. I saw them at the Canal Club a few months ago. They were great, as always.

    ReplyDelete